Dash (formerly known as Darkcoin and XCoin) is an open source peer-to-peer cryptocurrency and decentralized autonomous organization (DAO). It features instant transactions, private transactions and a self-funded, self-governed organizational structure. Dash is a fork of the Bitcoin software and is referred to as an altcoin. It was launched in January 2014 by Evan Duffield. The name 'Dash' is a portmanteau of 'Digital Cash'.
Decentralized Autonomous Organization
Dash's self-funded, self-governed organizational structure sometimes referred to as the treasury system or decentralized governance by blockchain makes Dash a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO). The system relies on a global network of masternodes which vote on proposals for improving Dash's ecosystem. Approved proposals are funded from the treasury, which receives 10% of all newly created Dash, with 45% allocated to miners and 45% to masternodes. Running a masternode requires ownership of 1000 Dash.
Dash sponsors community outreach in multiple regions.
ASU Blockchain Research Laboratory
Arizona State University's Blockchain Research Laboratory requested $350k in funding from Dash's treasury to create blockchain-focused scholarships, an online blockchain course and perform research pertaining to Dash. The proposal passed and Arizona State University received funding in December 2017.
KuvaCash is a Dash-funded startup that aims to offer a payment solution in Zimbabwe. The project received $550k in funding from Dash's treasury and passed with 871 votes in favour to 357 votes against.
An organization called Dash Venezuela has held to date 8 conferences in Venezuela aimed at community outreach and promotion of the cryptocurrency. It promotes Dash as a method of payment and operates a Spanish-speaking technical support centre for problems related to Dash.
- Galt, Juan S. (12 September 2015). "DASH – The First Decentralized Autonomous Organization?". Cointelegraph.
- Stevenson, John (29 May 2018). "City academic makes link between cryptocurrency trading and machine learning". City, University of London.
- Grant, Terry (18 Jan 2018). "Dash, Arizona State University Elevate Blockchain Research, Offer Graduate Course and Scholarships". FullCircle, Arizona State University.
- Garg, Yash (10 Jan 2018). "Dash Gives ASU a Grant to Fund Blockchain Initiatives". ASU Blockchain Research, Arizona State University.
- Dopfel, Fred (22 January 2018). "Bitcoin bubble may be sign of cryptocurrency investment trouble". North Bay Business Journal.
- Kauflin, Jeff (22 Dec 2017). "Dash Is Up 8,000% In 2017. Is This 'Darkcoin' A Better Version Of Bitcoin?". Forbes.
- "The U.S. town where Bitcoin thrives". Quest Means Business. April 2018. CNN International.
- Bergman, Adam (2 Mar 2018). "Taxation Of Cryptocurrency Proof Of Stake Transaction Fees". Forbes.
- Akhtar, Tanzeel (22 Nov 2017). "As Zimbabwe Celebrates Mugabe Resignation, Bitcoin and Cryptos Reign Supreme". The Street.
- McFarlane, Gary (24 Nov 2017). "High-flying cryptos: Digital currencies and the bubble question". Interactive Investor.
- Santambrogio, Clelia (15 May 2018). "Dash Venezuela continuará incentivando la adopción de la moneda a nivel personal, empresarial y de emprendimiento". Computerworld Venezuela (in Spanish).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dash (cryptocurrency).|